A Mountain bike fork is an expensive piece of kit. Rightfully so, it does a lot to enhance the experience of a mountain bike ride. We are here to help you protect the investment you made in your suspension fork. The goal is to protect your MTB fork from impacts and scratches, caused by riding and cables rubbing. The how-to install MTB fork protection process works for both RideWrapTailored Protection™ kits and Covered MTB fork protection kits.
What You Need
- Mountain bike fork
- Hairdryer/ Heat gun
- Spray bottle
- RideWrap Tailored Protection™ Kit/ Covered MTB fork Kit
Inside the box, you will find everything you need for a successful at-home DIY installation:
- Pre-cut fork protection pieces
- Install diagram
- RideWrap Squeegee
- Installation Slip Solution Concentrate
- Pre-install cleaning wipes
- RideWrap microfibre cloth
- RideWrap sticker sheet
How to Install MTB Fork Protection: the Process
Whether you have an xc, trail, all-mountain, or gravel bike, the Tailored Protection™ and Covered Fork Protection™ kits are easy to install. If you follow the instructions, take your time, and pay attention to detail, your fork protection installation should go smoothly.
- Wash your bike/ fork thoroughly.
- Remove the front wheel and cable clamps.
- Use the RideWrap pre-install cleaning wipes to remove residual oil, dirt, grease, and any watermarks from washing.
- Create your slip solution.
- Reference the diagram to figure out the piece’s placement.
- Apply install solution to both the fork kit piece and the fork.
- Use features on the fork to line up each piece (aim for 3mm gaps between pieces).
- If you’re having difficulty sliding pieces into position, use additional install solution to help position pieces.
- To lock pieces in place, use the squeegee to remove the install solution and air bubbles from under the protection film.
- Start from the center and work outward to the sides.
- Make sure to repeat the squeegee movement over the same area multiple times for the best adhesion.
- Use the microfiber cloth to pull moisture out from the edges to increase adhesion.
- Use gentle heat to dry the slip solution to help piece edges adhere to the frame.
- Check over the fork to ensure all edges are stuck down, and no air bubbles remain.
Enjoy the Coverage of Fork Protection
Now that you have your fork protected by a RideWrap protection kit, you can ride more and worry less. Riding knowing your fork lowers aren’t going to be vulnerable to sharp rocks or unexpected crashes can be a liberating feeling. Learn how to install MTB fork protection and protect your next ride and fork here.